Sunday, May 13, 2012

Another two cents in regards to the gay marriage debate.

So there's been a bit of a kerfuffle recently in regards to gay marriage.  Apparently some big wig has come out in support of it in the States, and, well, because the US is talking about it, it must be important.  And, because I'm that kinda guy, I'm going to put my voice into the argument.

As a point of interest and context, I think it's important to point out that John Key, despite all his recent talk of 'not being personally opposed to gay marriage' did vote against the Civil Union Legislation when it was last in the House.  It's interesting to see that it's only when Obama comes out in support of gay marriage that he begins to express positive (or at the very least neutral) views on the subject - where were these views when there were gay rights marches in Wellington for the last two years, such as the Legalise Love or the Queer the Night Rallies?  Hell, where were these when Tony Simpson wrote to Judith Collins earlier this year?  It's not until Obama actually takes an interest in the subject that suddenly Key becomes interested.  To paraphrase Jon Stewart, John Key has been taking the 'Mother' approach... "Well, if it were up to me darling, I'd let you go to the party.  I'd even buy you a six pack to take with you!  But you know how your father is with such things!"

But I digress.

First off, my personal stance.  I would never get 'married'.  I think marriage as we understand it in the Western construct has too much baggage behind it - the association with chattels, the strong Christian overtones are just two points of contention for me.  I wouldn't get married in the same way that, even if I believed in God, I wouldn't go to Church - I really don't want to belong to an institution that doesn't want me as a member. 

I know they're only a minority (in this country at least), but when you have conservatives coming out and making statements like 'the purpose of marriage is to provide a safe environment for legitimate offspring', that 'gay marriage weakens the institution', that 'it's a slippery slope.. What's next?  Legitimising polygamy?  Bestiality?', well, it's not an institution that I'm jumping up and down to be a part of.

That's why, personally, if my partner and I were to enter into a legal arrangement I would personally prefer a civil union of some description.  I think a legal recognition of our relationship that isn't mired in the history of marriage would suit me better.  My personal opinion is that civil unions also allow those who enter into them a certain amount more flexibility in how they choose to define this agreement outside of law than marriage, which comes with certain cultural expectations, however that's just me, I'm sure there are plenty of people in marriages who are choosing to define these relationships how they see fit as well.

The problem I have with civil unions in the New Zealand is that the Civil Union legislation falls short of securing the same rights, particularly in regards to family law - adoption and parenting laws are different.  However as someone who is not planning on having children any time soon, this really doesn't matter too much to me.

But despite my objections to the institute of marriage, I think gay and lesbians should be allowed to wed the person they love, if that's what they want.  While personally I disagree with the institution, I don't think my personal views on the subject, or the views of social conservatives, should influence law makers in this respect.  If those in the LGBT community want to enter into an institution that I personally disagree with, who am I to stop them? Their relationship, their marriage, does nothing to weaken the relationship I have with my partner.  It does nothing to weaken the marriage of Colin Craig or Mitt Romney or anyone else.

Also until Civil Unions offer EXACTLY the same rights as married couples, until they have exactly the same protections to families as those of marriages, warts and all, then Civil Unions will continue to be the poor cousin of marriages.  While Civil Union legislation as it stands is fine for me should I ever want to go through with it, it may not suit all the LGBT community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment